Tuesday, January 12, 2010

shawn johnsons return!


IG's Dwight Normile recently spoke with 2008 Olympic beam champ Shawn Johnson about her comeback plans and numerous other topics. Johnson, who will turn 18 on Jan. 19, says she will finish her senior year of high school in one month but isn't applying to any colleges just yet. When she does, Harvard, Stanford and Duke are on her short list.
Johnson says various opportunities have put college and a competitive comeback on hold. And though she's been back to Chow's Gymnastics occasionally, she isn't ready to give up everything right now to train full time.
"Things have just been coming up, appearances and different promotional things," she told IG. "I haven't really gotten back in the gymnastics gym yet, but I have been ... staying in shape, in case [when] that switch flips and I want to go back and stuff, but ... there's nothing rushing me and I want to make sure I make the right decision."
Does Johnson feel like she would let her fans down if she didn't come back?
"Right now, it's trying to figure out what I want to do," she said. "I feel like no matter what I do my fans should support me. Part of me does worry about that (letting fans down). But I went to the Olympics, I accomplished my goal and dream, I represented the country. And if I go back again, I think that should just be, you know, extra special ... I'm not sure what my new goal in life is."
The comeback question is one that many former champions face, and also one that is obviously very difficult to answer. If Johnson's words suggest that she'll never chalk up again, she ended our exclusive interview with one final statement on the matter:
"That door is wide open, and I don't think it will close for a long, long time. I can promise you that I want to get back int

No comments:

Post a Comment